Thursday, May 1, 2008

A [dog] by any other name...

So we have a minor "controversy" in our family right now: dog names. See, we have a new little girl on the way from across the Big Pond and we have not yet come to a conclusion on a good name for her. Granted, she's a German dog and will come with a name already specified on her ahnentafel (translated="pedigree"), but obviously we can call her whatever we want.

I almost fell off my chair when I was reading Tammy's Blog today, cuz I seriously thought they got a dog. For what it's worth, theirs is the last house on the block that I expect to see a dog come out of...and they're surrounded by us dog-loving, dog-owning, poop-in-your-eye freaks! Way to keep up the scare tactics, Tam!

Here are my requirements for a name:
1) Must be a cool name: subjective, I know, but important
2) Must be easy to yell when out hunting: a name like Princess Consuela Banana Hammock just ain't gonna work
3) Must be fairly unique: I don't want 2 young girls and 4 other dogs/cats to come running when I yell the name

So, whaddya think? Got any good names for the new girl? Personally, I really like Scandinavian names. Jill - do you and Leif have any good girl names for us? Leave a comment and give it your best shot. Heck, if you suggest the winning name, I'll even offer a prize. Not sure what, but a prize of some sort. Maybe a post purely about YOU, the winner...or some poop for your eye! Yuk!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

OK...first of all - she is really, really cute! And that means a lot coming from someone like me:)

Second, I've done a little research and I'd like to suggest the name "Zora". It's a German/Slavic name that means aurora or dawn - "This dog brightens up any room that she enters". I think it's perfect - easy to yell - not named after any neighborhood kids - and won't seem like wussy name when surrounded by big manly men carrying guns in the midst of a big pheasant hunt.

Third, I hope you don't get poop in your eye.

jilldaisbrenne said...

Here are my ideas:
1. Sabine (zabina)- German, strong, unique
2. Greta - scandanavian/german - means pearl
3. Rayna - scandanavian - means mighty queen


Here's Leif's ideas: (all I can say is thank goodness we are having another baby boy... see what I'd have to work with>?!?)
1. Nena - german
2. Lena - Norwegian
3. Hege (haaga) - Norwegian

Very, very cute dog!!

Unknown said...

Because I don't get to name a dog, I would be honored if you would use mine. Being mostly Irish (very little German), I suggest "Kevin" which is Gaelic for "beautiful at birth."

And who says "Kevin" can't be a unisex name like Stacy, Tracy, Brad, or Chris.