Monday, April 21, 2008

Hurts So Good

John Mellencamp, or was it John Cougar...or was it John Cougar Mellencamp(?) stated it well when he sang "Hurts So Good". The playoffs are over for the Wild, and the possibility of that big old Stanley Cup residing in The State of Hockey this year is dead. The only thing that helped ease the pain was the fact we were having a good time watching the game with good friends uptown at the local bar.
Oh, and I guess the handful of Windsor 7s helped a little...
And so did the $150 we won in pull tabs! Woo Hoo!

To add insult to injury, I've decided this week is the beginning of a couple "self improvement" campaigns:

1) "Kick the Cup": aka, get off the caffeine! I'm a morning coffee fiend. We have free Starbucks at work. It's like open bar for a struggling alcoholic. I've been sitting at my desk all morning watching the clock. "If I can make it til noon, I'll be fine. Well, I made it to noon thanks to a bottle of water. Just finished lunch and now I'm looking at the clock again. Did I mention we have free soda machines as well? Damn! This sucks. If I can make it til 5pm, I'll be fine (repeat over and over while hands start shaking).

2) "Get Speedo Ready" effort: time to shed what I added during the MN winter and get ready for summer! No, no, no...I would never actually wear one of those things - it's just a figure of speech to get myself motivated. Time to reduce my portion size, quit eating crappy foods, and did someone say exercise? What's that? I've been told that 5k is 3.11 miles. Can I run that far? If I'm being chased by the cops or a grizzly bear, perhaps. Otherwise, it's not likely.

Another painful item today: I actually wore a short sleeve T-shirt to work. Have I ALWAYS been this pasty white? Holy crap!

Mondays suck.

Is someone driving a railroad spike through my temple, or do I just need a cup of coffee?

1 comment:

jilldaisbrenne said...

How's the coffee thing going Brad... it's been a week?

Kuddos to you - there's no way I could do it!