Monday, June 2, 2008

What the hail is going on here?

Summer in MN is always a trip.
Sunshine, high humidity, and dripping sweat one minute, gusting winds, waves of hail, and tornado sirens the next.

Memorial Day weekend brought us our first big storm of the season, which leveled a bunch of houses in Hugo and Coon Rapids, MN. We got off easy by comparison, but still have a nice set of decorative holes in our siding on the north side of our house...again. We just had our whole house resided and roof replaced two years ago after a nasty hail storm swiss-cheesed our crappy vinyl siding and pelted the shingles. My truck took a nice ding from a golf ball sized hailstone in that storm, too. This year's storm wasn't as bad for us. Thankfully, we were gone at the time of the storm, so our vehicles don't have any hail damage like some of our neighbors' cars.

One thing that bugs me: Storm Chaser Contractors.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against contractors. I really like contractors, in fact a couple of my best friends are contractors. I just hate it when guys are canvasing the neighborhood with flyers and knocking on doors before the debris even lands and the hailstones melt. I have no problems with local guys making the rounds, especially if they're hometown guys. I just hate seeing out of state plates from North Carolina and Alabama with ladders hanging out of their trucks trying to turn a quick buck and skip town after a crappy repair job. Grrr.

I hate to say it, but it looks like its going to be a good year to be in the siding/roof and auto body repair industries.

No comments: