Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Workplace Confessions

I grew up Catholic. That inherently makes me guilty...of everything, and in need of confession. In that same spirit, I need to confess a minor mishap at work yesterday morning, of which, I actually am guilty.

I rarely dig into the donut pile that arrives in our office every Monday morning, but I spied an apple fritter buried in the bottom of the pile as I walked into the kitchen area. As I rearranged the pile with a plastic knife (so I wouldn't have to touch all the others), a chocolate covered donut took a header off the plate and landed on the floor. Not a clean floor either, mind you. I promptly grabbed it, set it on the counter next to the platter with every intention of tossing it once I finished fetching my fritter.

Right as I pulled my prize from the grease-and-sugar collection, one of the office ladies steps in and announces "Oh, looks like we have a runner!" referring to the choco-dust-dirtball donut I set on the counter. Before I could say anything, she grabbed it and took a monster bite out of it. I didn't have the heart to tell her. I thought the little white piece of paper-punch stuck to the side would give it away. Apparently not.

"Mmmm...heavenly!" she claimed.
"Hmmm...devilish!" was how I felt.

So, there you have it. I'm a bad man, who enjoys the occasional apple fritter. Hopefully next time it will be on top of the pile.

No comments: