Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Instructions are for Wussies

I took some time yesterday to browse Ken Rockwell's site HERE. This guy is a Nikon guru and general photography expert. He's forgotten more about photography than I've ever learned. One thing I am convinced of after browsing his site: I have no idea what the heck I'm doing with my nice Nikon DSLR camera. I'm basically using it as a "point and shoot". Since I haven't been using any of the advanced features, I could've just as well saved myself a pile of cash and bought a cheap pocket size Chinese knock off for $50-$75. Why don't I use any of the advanced features? Well, that would require me to read the instructions, a task that any red-blooded American male despises.

It's a sign of weakness.
It shows you're too dumb to figure it out on your own.
Half the time, the instructions are written in Mandarin anyway.
Besides, that takes time, something we men don't give up easily.

Other items I've never read the Instruction Manuals for:
* 42" Samsung flat panel LCD TV - just like any other TV, right?
* My BOSE home theater system - sounds like a tin can.
* My boat & motor - I2ABDFI: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
* Any kitchen appliance - toaster handle goes down, toast comes up.
* Any vehicle I've ever owned - I pay mechanics for that.
* Any electrical gadget I've owned - again, I2ABDFI!
* Our kids - is there one?

Seriously now, how many of you pansies actually read the instruction manuals for items you've purchased? Was it really worth the time and effort?

Yeah, I figured it was.

I bet you stop and ask for directions too. What fun is that?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

It's so funny that your talking about this! Neither Bill or I are real big on instruction manuals.

But...having said that, my Nikon instruction manual is almost worn out. I've read and reread that damn thing so many times, I've marked pages, I have multiple papers with further tips I've gotten from websites or DSLR classes tucked in between the pages. I actually even carry it with my in my camera bag at all times.

But, the crazy thing is that none of that info seems to stick with me for more than 3-4 days. I think my brain must have some kind of anti-DSLR program wired in.

So, guess what mode I've resorted to shooting in?

Yep - automatic (aka idiot mode)

Sad but true...

jilldaisbrenne said...

I've actually read the instruction manual to our front load washing machine. It has some fancy steam cleaner thing... and after almost a year of having it, I decided to become a little more familiar with what I can all do with it.

I haven't actually used the fancy option of steam cleaning yet- because trust me, clothes in this house require just regular old washing... but now at least I know how!!